The General Foreman is expected to monitor and oversee daily activities and throughput of work of workshop staff and stores. At times, acting as the deputy to both the M&N Mechanical and Electrical Supervisors, In holding such a pivotal role you will also be expected to show leadership and take ownership of activities with other staff members as necessary and ensure efficient work methods are being followed at all times.
This role will be based at our branch office but with the possibility of occasionally visiting sites away. A willingness to work away from home with overnights stays as required is essential. There will be a “hands on” requirement both in the workshop & attending site repairs/breakdowns /commissioning as required, however the site work will be kept to a minimum whenever possible.
Physical & Other Requirements:
- Current valid driving licence.
- Able to work outside on occasion on sites which are connected with wastewater (sewage)
- Able to carry out work tasks that involve physical strength, stamina, standing, kneeling or crouching.
- Occasional overnight stays may be required.
Competency & Qualifications:
- CSCS card.
- Driving licence Car (Clean).
- Forklift licence (Desirable).
- Previous engineering/electrical experience/qualifications.
- Knowledge of the water industry and inlet/water equipment is essential and a knowledge of welding desirable.
- Computer literate/Good Microsoft Office skills.
- Ability to work in a systematic and organised manner to ensure work is completed within required timescales and stores systems met.
- Able to communicate effectively to customers and company staff at all levels.
- Conduct the work activities in a professional manner and promote a positive image of the company.
- A methodical & systematic approach to working.
- Work well on own and use initiative.
- Confidence & enthusiasm in embracing new technologies, learn new skills and take on new projects.
- A willingness to work outside normal hours as required.
- To establish with the Mechanical and Electrical Supervisors and achieve objectives for the operation. Deputise for the Mechanical & Electrical Supervisors as required.
- The allocation, monitoring and supervision of work to staff to ensure effective and efficient use of the tradesmen at all times.
- Deputise for the Mechanical & Electrical supervisors as required.
- Maintain a safe and clean environment and ensure staff use all safe procedures and equipment as prescribed in the appropriate Risk Assessment.
- Ensure efficient use of all resources and correct maintenance of all items of equipment and tools.
- Maintain security of the workshop, stores and yard.
- Record work completed on job cards. Initiate job cards, work requests and liaise with customers and suppliers where required.
- Manage consumable usage and liaise with the supply section to ensure adequate supply of equipment and stores to meet the outputs.
- Carry out Thorough Examinations of Lifting Equipment (when qualified).
- People management; mentor and encourage all staff in personal and professional development. Carry out regular personal development plans.
- Conduct regular toolbox talks for all staff.
- Take charge and ownership of jobs and deploy to sites as required in support of the business.
- Ensure that all the Company policies and procedures for ISO9001, ISO14001 and OHSAS18001 are complied with. Ensure that regulations on health and safety are adhered to in order to maintain a safe working environment.